Monday 20 July 2015

The Britannia Inn at Halkyn

Select group met at the Car Park on Little Roodee.
Grosvenor Bridge in the background.

Chester Racecourse, iconic in its own right and very pretty.
Oldest racecourse in the country!

Very very windy ride out along the River Dee

Crossing the Dee at Shotton on the Blue Bridge





































































The first part of the ride was straightforward to Shotton, and then slight double back to climb into Hawarden at Gladstones Library, a rather fine coffee venue!



After coffee the plan was to wend through Drury and Buckley, but after a couple of stops and false turns we ended up at a large roundabout (which looked suspiciously like the one on the A55 by Hawarden).  It was.  Technology (google maps) helped me place where we were to confirm with Dave, so we had to head back up the hill (isn't it always the case) and find the right route.






The problem I had was I knew where we were at each turn, after Buckley Common (and Elvis) we were crossing main roads, the route I used to take to circumnavigate Mold - but I also was aware we were not heading towards Halkyn!







Then, after crossing the Mold Denbigh road for a second time, I lost the group.  Well, technically, the group lost me.  The first bit of the road was an arrow, and quite steep.  I stopped to take my helmet off whilst climbing in the sunshine, and carried on.  As I passed a bend in the road with a turn, I did wonder, but no-one was waiting so I carried on.   It was lovely, so I stopped to take a selfie. (as you do).

A little further on I looked over my shoulder (I heard a bicycle bell ringing) - and a figure looking remarkably like Dave was coming up behind me.

Curious!


It was Dave!  They had all turned off and no-one had waited (rotten lot!).  Dave and I carried on, he phoned Bob and planned to meet at a 't' junction later.  Eventually, and several phone calls later, we did re-group and continue.




Moel Famau over to our right
There are some wonderful downhills up on the Halkyn Mountains, and some stunning views - it is the best place to be on a Sunny Sunday!


Looking across the Dee estuary to the Wirral. And beyond.

We arrived at the Inn, and had a great table in the conservatory, still enjoying the view across the Dee.


Dave continues...After lunch Sue headed for home leaving 5 of us to continue, we headed for Rhes Y Cae onto Moel Y Crio before dropping down to Hendre, where we turn left past the quarry ,then a couple of steep climbs, thinking what a few of us have ahead with the Devon Banks in a few weeks time. We continued on past Soughton Hall noting a sign for tea room, through Alltami past Ewloe Hall, in Ewloe Caroline departed for Connah's Quay we continued to Hawarden farm shop for afternoon tea, going back via Rake lane past the Airfield to Saltney Ferry bridge along the the river to the kop where we headed off in different directions for home.


Approx 60 miles with 3000 feet of climbing

No comments:

Post a Comment